Monday, April 19, 2010

John Donovan

John Donovan is the earliest known ancestor I have. It appears that he was born in Ireland and either did not make the move or moved around the time of the Irish potato famine. Irish genealogy is a tough nut to crack, but with persistence I should be able to overcome this issue. The biggest problem I have is the distance between me and the records. Researching these families from Alabama is tough, if not impossible! But we have a few hints about where John was born. Most likely he was born in County Cork, Ireland since there are a lot of Donovan's there. Unfortunately, there are little, if any, records of the massive flight of Irish families during the potato famine. If anyone has any hints I'd love to hear them about how to research genealogy in Ireland in this era.

No comments:

Post a Comment